Requesting payment for a bill
Whether you receive a bill by mail or email, when you need the bill to be paid just submit it to the ArtsPool app for your Financial Operations Lead to process.
There are two ways to submit a task to the ArtsPool app:
- By using the online web form. This is the fastest way to get it on our radar.
- By sending an email to your organization's magic email address [handle]-firstname.lastname@example.org*
Please include the following information when you submit a bill for payment:
- A clear task description, e.g. Bill Submission: [VENDOR] [DATE]
- A copy of the bill with a clear invoice date and payment date
- If the bill is for a new contractor that will require a 1099, ArtsPool will need an email to request W-9 so please provide the contractor's current email address.
- Account Code and Program tracking information (and Activity tracking if your organization uses it)
Once your bill submission has been received and set up for payment in the books, ArtsPool will send a request for payment approval to one or more of your organization's Administrators (typically the Executive Director or other senior staff) via the ArtsPool app. As a reminder, ArtsPool will never pay a bill without a member's explicit approval.
Bill approvers are member staff who are authorized to approve the bills for payment. Bill approvers receive an email notification of approval requests through the ArtsPool app when bills are ready for payment and can click the link in the email to review and approve the bill payment. Bill approvers can also log into the ArtsPool app directly to see open approval requests at any time. Read on for more information on these two ways of approving bills for payment.
When your Financial Operations Lead sends a request to approve bill payment to one or more of your organization's Administrators, they will receive an email notification. They can approve the bill in one of two ways: by immediately approving the bill via the link in an email notification, or by approving via their open requests list in the ArtsPool app.
Approving a payment via an email notification
- Click the View and approve button in the email notification.
- On the bill task, review the details. The underlying documentation (contract, invoice, etc) can be reviewed in the Documents tab of the task.
- The original bill submission task is visible in the Linked tasks tab, and reviewing that task may be helpful to see additional information on how the bill was coded or any conversation that was had between ArtsPool's Financial Operations Lead and member staff. To view the source transaction in the books, click the Xero logo.
- To check your organization's cash position before approving the bill, click the financial snapshot link below the Approve button. This snapshot is updated every 10 minutes and reflects your combined bank and credit card balances, open payables, and open receivables. If you want to see your bank balance separate from credit cards, click the View details link. Your bank account balance as shown on this report is your accounting balance, which differs from your bank ledger balance in that it includes any uncleared payments or deposits (outstanding checks, deposits that have not cleared, etc).
- Click the Approve button to approve the bill for payment.
Approving a bill from your request list
Sometimes you may not want to approve a bill immediately. But oh no...what if you have deleted the email with the approval request. Never fear, you can always approve your bills from your Open Requests list in the ArtsPool app.
- Log into the ArtsPool app at app.artspool.co. You will land on your Open Requests list by default if you have any open requests.
- Locate the bill you want to approve on the list and click the Resolve button.
- In the pop up dialog box, click the Approve button to immediately approve the bill for payment, or click Review.
- If you click Review, you will be taken to the bill task, where you can review and approve the bill as described in the section above entitled Approving a payment via an email notification.
Once you approve a bill, the timestamp of the approval will appear on the Activity tab of the task.
ArtsPool will process the payment once the bill approver has approved the bill for payment through ArtsPool's app. Online payments will be made via the vendor's payment portal whenever possible to facilitate speedy payment and reduce fraud risk. Check payments are made via the check fulfillment service Checkeeper, though PDF checks can be provided for printing at your office upon request.